Friday, May 16, 2008

Wonderings About The Chosen One: Clean Up Your Act, Sweetie?











Isn't it ironic.

This ironic picture of Barack Obama mystically rising from the Willamette River appeared in Willamette Week, accompanying an article which endorsed him for President of the United States, in a non-ironic (I am led to believe) endorsing kinda way.

And yet -- somehow -- there seems to me to be a certain aura of, well, unicorns, sparkles, and strewn roses that pervades (perhaps perfumes?) the non-ironic portion of the socio-political air.

But anyway, last night I (or rather my Pariah Clintonista av) listened to WA-08 Congressional candidate Darcy Burner at SL's Virtually Speaking; she impressed me with her intelligence, insight, and her energy for --well, change. Non-ironically speaking.

She also impressed me with her enthusiasm for Barack Obama. Which was almost infectious.

So this morning, I read my morning newspaper.

In it was an article about Bush's appeasement slam of Obama. I read about Hillary Clinton defending him against Bush, saying, "President Bush's comparison of any Democrat to Nazi appeasers if offensive and outrageous, especially in the light of his failures in foreign policy. This is the kind of statement that has no place in any presidential address."

So far, so good.

But at the article's end was this:

Mr. Obama has likened his foreign policy approach to that of the so-called pragmatists in the administration of the first President George Bush, which carried out the first American invasion of Iraq, in 1991, and he has shared those sentiments recently as he has sought to woo independent voters in swing states. “I have enormous sympathy for the foreign policy of George H. W. Bush,” he said. “I don’t have a lot of complaints about their handling of Desert Storm. I don’t have a lot of complaints with their handling of the fall of the Berlin Wall.”

Oh good.

Obama's down with a Ronald Reagan who singlehandedly huffed and puffed and blew down the Berlin wall?

Obama has enormous sympathy for the foreign policy of Bubble Boy's father?

A rose by any other name, would smell as sweet as a Republican foreign policy can smell.

How sweet is that, really, sweetie?

4 comments:

BillyWitchDoctor said...

I know you don't like the interparty sniping, but: now let's watch the "progressives" fall all over themselves trying to explain this away:

"Well...well...Reagan may have been an asshole on most fronts, but his foreign policy was pretty remarkable!"

"Look, he 'clarified' the next day! Give him a break! Yes, again! Barack was right about Iraq when he didn't have to vote on it!!"

"But he votes for funding the war now because that supports the, uh, toops! ...Toops? TROOPS! I mean troops! Tee hee, I forgot the word!"

"You're just bitter!"

"CHANGE! HOPE! AUDACITY! OUTSIDE! FUDGE! YOU'RE NOT A REAL PROGRESSIVE UNLESS YOU VOTE FOR NADE--UHHHH, OBAMA!! (*does Donald Sutherland point-and-scream from Invasion Of The Body Snatchers*) NONBELIVER!! NONBELIVER!!"

...Or maybe they'll treat it like the William Ayers issue, and pretend it didn't happen.

No Blood for Hubris said...

You're quite right.

That's what makes them Faux-Liberal Manichaeans.

Some of his supporters must have noticed that his positions are actually not progressive, yet they support him anyway, in spite of it.

It's just so odd.

Anonymous said...

If he makes it to the White Castle, he'll soon find out that saying one thing on the campaign trail, means something totally different inside the oval office.

BTW, don't worry about the link loss. I don't pay attention to who links me anyway. My own link lists serves as a way for me to bookmark blogs I like to read.

No Blood for Hubris said...

I got it back up. I just wanted to apologize, as it was unintentional.